Thursday, April 05, 2007

Some of the things I see these days give me hope; hope for a better, more tolerant world. Almost every problem in this world originates from the very simple fact that people don't agree with each other. At one level, it's the differences in ideas and opinions. At another level, something deeper, it's the differences between countries, states, religions, and races.

But I guess the equation's changing everywhere, the lines are getting thinner. My friends are from all over the country - different states, different religions, and different looks. And so many of them have married outside their communities/states. Their friends, and their friends' friends have done the same thing too. So many, that it has become a very normal thing amongst my entire friends circle and theirs.

Nothing significant or great you would say, but look deeper and you will see. These couples aren't strict about religion, they don't care about superstitions and rituals, they hate the racial narrow minded attitudes harbored by their old parents/relatives towards other communities/races/religions, they speak mostly English, and their kids don't look like they belong to any particular race/state/community.

Maybe, hopefully, in another 20-30 years, at least in the big/metropolitan cities of India, the lines are going to get very, very blurred. The boundaries between languages will crumble first, and this will be followed by the 'different look' boundaries. The differences between religions will go away too, someday.

And we’ll be left with differences in ideas and opinions only, which is in fact something very healthy if we could respect and tolerate each other a little more. “Flags of our Fathers” and “Letters from Iwo Jima,” the story of a single battle seen from two different sides. Both the movies were great but I found “Letters from Iwo Jima” much better.

Sipping brandy with Savatage in the background....I just realized I have now got 3 nieces and 3 nephews. My elder sister just had her first child - a daughter, and the whole family asked me to name her. I waited for one whole month thinking that somebody else would come up with a name, but no such luck. So I named my niece Delphina, and my sister loves it.

Moms and their kids; they’ll never stop praising their children. The other day I was on the phone and sis was going on about how nice her daughter is and how quiet she is. “Sis, wait for sometime. She’s going to be just like you – moody and very, very stubborn. And she’s going to be this over smart and disobedient girl, just like you once were.” Sis broke out laughing and it was so good to hear her laugh. It was so good to know that we have all so mellowed, and we have all gone through a hell of a lot and learned so much. All my bros and sis, we were and we still are, a bunch of eccentrics to a lot of people around us. We are quite different from one another, but we are all hot-tempered and we all speak whatever’s on our mind – the legacy of our father. And from mom? We fall sick once in a decade or so. If I leave out the accidents and similar stuff, the last time I was bedridden with fever was in 1993.

Going to Chennai tomorrow, and from there I will be going with a friend to Pondicherry in his car. If he doesn’t have a stereo in his car, you are all going to see me in the headlines – for murder.

5 comments:

Monika said...

i agree with the point u made on the thining racial and caste lines. almost all in my friends are like that too. Infact in my family too. Me (panju) married a telegu-tamil (fil was tamil, mil telegu) wonder what my children will be i guess u called them right they will be metro indians... my sil has married a orriya :)

Enjoy the pondicherry trip its a lovely drive i have heard... and ya congrats for the niece and thats a nice name

Anonymous said...

Delphina. Nice name. What does it mean?

Dreamcatcher said...

I guess its happening everywhere. People are marrying out of the community disregarding religion, caste and other such stupid things. And if nothing else, it makes the children appreciative of at least two cultures.
Is Delphina a Greek name? Very pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Just to tell you that I read your blog regularly (as regularly as you write!) even as so many things in my life have changed since coming to the US.
I liked this post very much.

zypsy said...

monika: that's a metro family you got there:-)

ash & dc: thanks, it's taken from the greek city of delphi. not so sure about the meaning though:-)

sush: that's nice to know!! hope everything's all right, and you are learning and having fun.