Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Multi-tasking is something I've never been good at. When I'm reading a book, I prefer silence all around me. Unlike a lot of people, I don’t like to read with some music in the background. When I'm watching a movie, I want to hear every word, notice the details, and more importantly know and understand what the movie's all about.

When I'm into something I'm so totally into it, relationships, for instance. When I’m in love, I see and care for my woman only. The one thing that I swear upon is that, I'll never ever two-time her or what some people call "multi-tasking" these days. To me, that makes someone a liar and a coward, and someone so weak that he/she can't take a simple decision. I have been with a fair number of women, but each one of them has been with me at different points of time. Or to put it more directly, after the end of a relationship, there has always been some new woman, a perfect stranger, waiting for love, waiting for a new journey, waiting for me.

I have never proclaimed to any of my loves that she's the last woman I'll love, if we ever broke up or if anything ever happened to her. I have always believed and I still do, that I'll find another woman that will fascinate, excite and challenge me if the present relationship ever ends.

A lot of things have kept me away from the whole concept of two-timing but only one person has shown and taught me the finer details of it, and he's my own father.

I didn't know about it for almost 6 years. It was only when I turned 7 that I came to know about the 'other woman'. At that age, I was just surprised and not at all shocked. Mom would tell us much later that if it had not been for the kids (us), she would have left my father a long time back.

There were quarrels, almost everyday. And every time dad came home late from the office, it was worse. All of us - my brothers and sisters, learned to ignore it after sometime but as we grew up, we began to discover a lot of unanswered questions. How and why did dad have two sons with that 'other woman' if mom had found out about her at the start of their affair? Why did dad send those two kids to the best school in the state when he sent me and my elder brother to a small, unknown, one wooden building school? Why didn't he ever make up his mind, and love and live with only one woman?

The two sons from the 'other woman' were in the same age group as my elder brother and me. And every time my elder brother and I topped our classes, mom would be so happy and so proud. She would also become vengeful and remind my father how his other 'two sons' despite studying in the best school would never ever be better than her own sons. A shamed, confused and angry father who used to drink everyday, and a hurt mother who couldn’t walk away because of the kids and because she could never stop loving him – those were the darkest days my family has ever seen and known.

It's been so many years now, decades in fact, and I have never ever seen this 'other woman' and her two sons - my step-brothers. I don't know their names either. My own 2 eldest brothers and big sister, something tells me that they still have the biggest & deepest scars from that phase of our family history. One elder bro, me, kid sis and bro, we were lucky to come out of the whole thing with some scratches only.

Mom has been the strongest person, and Dad has always been so good to each one of us despite getting drunk and quarrelling with mom almost every night. I never thought of him as bad or heartless, but just someone who made a very big stupid mistake. And yes, he was a fucking liar and a fucking coward too, at one point of time. Sometimes, I want to ask him a thousand questions but that look in his eyes tells me that he had asked himself those questions. And that look in his eyes tells me that he will never forgive himself.

As for the 'other woman', I no longer hate her. Dad was to be equally blamed for whatever happened, but I want to meet her someday, and just look in her eyes. And hopefully I will find the answers there.

is she there,
somewhere in the dark dungeons
of your memory?
is she still there,
walking behind you
whenever you look back?
do you sometimes see her,
in all the empty places
of your heart?
do you see her in a crowd?
or do you see her,
only when you switch on
the headlights?
and do you sometimes see her,
when you are holding mother,
in your arms?

do you see him
as you used to
just like the day
you first saw him
on your way back home
from school?
do you still get charmed
by his looks and words?
do you see
guilt in his eyes?
or do you feel it yourself?
do you feel
humiliated? betrayed?
has everything been forgiven?
or do you still wanna kill father?

what do you see
when you look at yourself?
a seductress? a fool?
or a woman wronged?
did his looks and words
sweep you off your feet?
or has it swept you
down the drain and into the gutters?
do you miss him
or do you want him to
miss you instead?
do you still talk with him
relive the romance and passion
or do you relive your follies?
have you forgiven him
have you forgiven yourself
or do you still cry
under the silver shadow
of a mocking full moon?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm.. Sometimes even time can't heal some wounds. Perhaps a feeling of numbness engulfs you and that is welcome. It's difficult to forgiive someone who betrays you in love - at least I cant.

Arunima said...

I have always found another guy to love when a relationship ends though I crib for sometime. So we are same to same in that regard.
:-)

Monika said...

some wounds dont heal easily and specially the deep ones in the childhood, the poem in the end is very nicely written and i guess thats because its coming straight from the heart...

u have a bog heart to be able to forgive ur dad and the other woman... take care of urself

Anonymous said...

its amazing enough that u havent asked all those questions in all these years...not after u grew up or began to understand...to be at peace without any hatered or the curiosity to at least know the names....I dont think i could have done that!

mad angles said...

I think it's incredibly brave of you to actually write about such an experience.. which goes to show that a lot of those scars/scratches have healed.

*Hug*

heh? ok said...

i liked the poem coz it showed that you're able to appreciate the feelings of every individual involved, that good and bad only draw meaning from where we're located in the entire thing. we do forget that moms and dads are people too, that good people make mistakes too. but then we grow up, and we write poetry. :)

SwB said...

I would love to meet up with you sometime.

We often do not understand why people do the things they do. Does one become a coward if he runs away from a responsibility he never wanted to take on in the first place? I'm not sure.

zypsy said...

ash: i used to think so but in love you never know. my own ability and my lover's, to forgive each other have always amazed me.

arunima: good for you:-)

monika & chandni: sometimes i feel it's my sheer indifference, my whole attitude of ignoring things/people that don't matter to me.

essar: yup. the only scars i have now are the ones from my childhood - fights with my brothers, and some accidents:-)

sangy: not exactly poetry to me, i prefer to call them stories or questions, or sometimes just ramblings:-))

swb: that's a good question. sometimes, we all have run away from something or the other.
the feeling's mutual i guess, but let's hope we don't meet at a shakira concert:-)))