Saturday, September 10, 2005

changes

Last week, i met two friends after about 6 years.

Both of them are married and one of them has a kid already. We had lunch together, we talked about the old times, we talked about our other friends - what they are doing and where they are.

The names conjured up images and memories enclosed within the quotes of another space and time. I also saw my 2 friends and their wives. I have known these women too, since the time they were going out with my friends. What happened? What really happened to all of them?

They have changed and I expected that. But not this!!

We studied our engineering together. One of them was into classic rock; he was also into books and guitars. These days, he reads self-help books, listens to pop and doesn't play the guitar at all. The other was a very thin guy who didn't smoke or drink. Now he does both. The worst part is that they are into these new things and ideas without the
same old passion they once had.

All of them had grown fat too.

Have they all changed for love or for themselves? Or has society conspire this change so that they will look and think alike the so-called majority?

Then they turned to me. You haven't changed at all. When will you stop listening to rock music? When will you stop reading those 'serious' books? When will you stop changing your girlfriends? When will you mellow down? You are born in the wrong country!!!

I don't have the answers for that, my friends, and I can't promise anything. We'll meet again someday, somewhere. And when we do, I hope I still can recognize that old friend of mine. Change is inevitable but please don't give up your passions and your 'old familiar' smiles coz these are the things I will remember about you. And these are the only things that will identify you when the cruel hands of time give you another man's face and skin. Till we meet again, my dear friends.

10 comments:

consise10 said...

Wow I`m always interested to read your words zypsy.

What you reveal is so telling of a very deep nature.

Anonymous said...

You have the gift of talking about these things without being the least bit boring. :)

Shivangi Misra said...

On a lighetr note, 'marriage is like a phone call in the middle of the night... first the ring, then you wake up'!
But seriously, a lot changes once you decide to tie the knot. Apparently, the world thinks to give up your passions after marriage is a yardstick to your dedication towards your partner. There are these things about 'settling down', 'growing up', like what you believe in makes you immature. I know what you mean. My best friend got married right after college. And now her life is so confined. i am sure it must be great and I dont know if she realises it, but I most definately feel the loss.

Anonymous said...

U rearrange me til I m sane, Brain damage huh!! a one time favorite..

Settling down, marriage, i don't know why people start taking each other for granted once they are married.I mean they are digging their own marital grave.

I have my own plans heehe.. till then, lemme also enjoy my singlehood..Coz who knows?? I might also start diggin that grave.. Nyways i feel, one can be creative and bring fun into a marriage.. they must choose to be happy..

zypsy said...

thanks consise!!

glad you weren't bored flame:-)

the so-called changes after marriage are perfectly ok if the couples are happy with their new taste and beliefs. but most of the time a person changes himself or herself thinking that they are doing it for love. once the honeymoon period's over, reality sets in and both of them end up bored and lost.

sinusoidally said...

...but it's like a segue from one phase of life onto to the next...that's how I explain the changes I see in my married friends...

Anonymous said...

That's scary. Have you met ppl who are married and have changed for the better?

Arunima said...

oii ma!!


Don't be misguided. Lemme get married and show you how nice it can be. The only thing I don't know when:-)

claytonia vices said...

A lot of people get married only coz they do not know what else to do!

As for me, I will see to it that marriage makes me more alive and fun with each passing day!

By the way, great post!

I am at a stage when many of my friends are getting married and this post was very relevant!

SuperP. said...

I have seen and felt the same things.

Don't change. Women love passionate, motivated, interested men who seem a bit lost as long as they're searching and who are forever young at heart.

When you meet someone, make sure she is willing to seek out the fire and grow with you, even on contented evenings, when you substitute cookies for beer.