Friday, September 02, 2005

lines from Kerouac

Love the Beatnik poets and writers, and these quotes by Kerouac's are amongst my all time favourites:

The only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing,
but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles
exploding like spiders across the stars
and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop
and everybody goes "Awww!"

Oh little Cody Pomeray if there had been some way
to send a cry to you even when you were too little to know
what utterances and cries are for in this dark sad earth,
with your terrors in a world so malign and inhospitable,
and all the insults from heaven ramming down
to crowd your head with anger, pain, disgrace,
worst of all the crapulous poverty in and out of every splintered door of days,
if someone could have said to you then,
and made you perceive,
"Fear life, but don't die; you're alone, everybody's alone.
Oh Cody Pomeray, you can't win, you can't lose, all is ephemeral, all is hurt."

No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy,
even bored solitude in the wilderness,
finding himself depending solely on himself
and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them.

2 comments:

Shivangi Misra said...

Try reading poems by Sylvia Plath, especially 'Daddy'. Here's the link: http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~beckmann/plath/daddy.html

consise10 said...

I virtually lived on 'Sylvia Plath' during my studies at university. Wish I hadn`t in retrospect.