Thursday, October 27, 2005

friday fever

There's a chill in the air and getting up every morning has become a Herculean task. I'm not much of a late sleeper anyway, the urge to read the newspaper in the morning is too strong to ignore. On those rare occasions when I don't have the urge, the paper boy gives his best shot and makes sure that the thud of the newspaper falling on the balcony is extra loud.

My colleagues have always told me that I'm the most cheerful person on Fridays. And every Friday night, I would go to bed with a head buzzing with plans for the next two days. Inspite of all the ups and downs of life, I go to bed every Friday night, happy and excited. Call it innocence, call it an idiosyncrasy but I would rather call it the Friday night fever.

I always think of making something new for breakfast but when Saturday morning finally arrives, it's just tea or coffee with french toast, most of the times. And I would enjoy it slowly, with some 60's rock music playing in the background.

After that the planning starts. Should I play the guitar, should I catch up on my reading, should I go out for browsing in the book/music store? And depending on my status at that time, should I go out on a date? I leave out the mundane household stuff - cleaning the room and washing clothes - for Sunday.

And then these plans can be broken up into smaller ones too. Playing the guitar - should it be the acoustic or the electric? Should I play the lessons or some ol' rock n roll I already know? The possibilities are endless but there is so little time. I think you must have got the picture by now. I'm excited on Friday nights but I'm a very confused guy on Saturdays.

But I don't belong to that group of people who makes New Year resolutions just for the heck of it. So by saturday evening, I end up doing a bit of everything I've planned.

The evening brings in the few close friends I have. Friends you hardly find in these days of egos and status symbols. Friends so rare in these days of big talks and small deeds. They come for drinks, food, music, and movies. They come to just sit and talk.


As the night grows, a brainstorming session soon starts. What shall we eat? Should I cook or order? What shall we drink? Rum, vodka, whiskey? And what shall we drink with? Water, cola or fruit juice? I've always marveled at the difference between drinking and all the other things that give you a high. You can dope, you can pop, and you can sniff all alone. And people normally don't like to share these kinds of stuff; they do it alone and enjoy it alone too. But drinking? It's a social activity. I've never come across anyone who's that happy when he's drinking alone. Includes me too.

And when the lights are out; when everything's over, I'm in bed, a little tipsy, a bit warm and very happy. Life's worth living after all, as long as you can look forward to your weekends. Life's still beautiful with a few good friends, good food, music and drinks.

8 comments:

Arunima said...

Yup. You are right. BTW, came to tell you my 55 words story is done. It sucks though. Please read since you tagged me. It will be up in a few minutes.

consise10 said...

Friends, the few that I have, help pull me out of the pit I often find myself residing in. They are essential in my life.

I enjoy the way you tell a story Zypsy.

SuperP. said...

I enjoyed this post. It gave me some warm pictures in which to view you.

I imagine guitars hanging on the walls and rug tapestries and short shelves in the kitchen with stashes of tea next to a bottle of bourbon. I am interested.. is that my northamerican view of your words or am I in any way correct? You should post a picture of your living space.

zypsy said...

thanks arunima, your story was gooood!! merci to you too, consise:-)

not exactly penny. i live alone in a rented two room flat. the inner smaller room's my bedroom. i have the computer with my music videos/movies and about 3500 MP3s to entertain me. in the shelf/cupboard, i have about a 100 novels.

the outer bigger room's the party/sitting room. there is a low table and two chairs in the middle of the room, and a big mattress i use as the carpet!! the music system's also here. there's a wooden cabinet with about 600 tapes. the two guitars along with a small amp, also live in this room:-)

then there's the kitchen where i cook everyday. vegetarian on weekdays and non-vegetarian on weekends. that's it:-)

Anonymous said...

Going to bed with a satisfied smile on your face like a sweet little intoxicated angel! :)

Anonymous said...

Were you always in India? How did you pick up your lifestyle- living single, vodka, guitars, french toast, Guy de Maupasant....?

PS. Keep your questions to me cute and harmless as usual. :) |) :) |) *blinking sweetly*

zypsy said...

been always in india. oh yes, i went to burma for 2 days coz it was the nearest country from my home town in manipur:-)

do you have long eyelashes? just wondering how you would look when you are blinking sweetly:-)

Anonymous said...

Like a total cartoon. Which is a pity coz that was such a romantic question. :/ |/ :/