Thursday, April 06, 2006

mama, i'm coming home

I'm going home in the last week of May for my sis's wedding. The last time I went home? It was May, 1999 - a gap of 7 years. Been studying, living and working, away from my home state for the past 13 years. And in 13 years, I've gone home 6 times.

There are nephews and nieces I have never seen. They know my name and I know theirs, and that's all we know about each other. Sis told me they have repainted the house when one of my brothers got married last year. She asked me in good humour, "Will you be able to recognize our house?" Heard that one of my nieces cried when I told my folks that I may come home in December instead of May. She couldn't wait to see me and she was scared that I wouldn't be coming at all.

Kids and dogs - I will never be able to understand why they like me so much. Ever since I was a kid, I had been the favourite of every single dog that we had. Sometimes, when I went home during the holidays there will be a new dog but in a few days time, i will become the favourite.

And during my teens, some of my cousins along with a few kids from the neighbourhood would come to me for their studies. Somehow, they never liked going to my elder bros. So it was me for their assignments and all their other questions; all the questions that had nothing to do with their studies.

I was the quietest one in the family and mom would always say, "Make some noise!! We never know whether you are in the house or not." I'm gonna talk this time mom, I'm gonna make a lot of noise:-)

Can't wait to see everyone. Can't wait to be with my family. Feeling homesick for the first time in ages.


You know I’m a dreamer
But my heart’s of gold
I had to run away high
So I wouldn’t come home low
Just when things went right
It doesn’t mean they were always wrong
Just take this song and you’ll never feel
Left all alone
Take me to your heart
Feel me in your bones
Just one more night
And I’m comin’ off this
Long & winding road
I’m on my way
Well, I’m on my way
Home sweet home...
- Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue

9 comments:

Arunima said...

I can pretty much relate to it.
It has been almost three years for me too.

Alapana said...

Waved a goodbye to my brother who left for Delhi just now on office work,Last time he went for 10 days and came back only after 4months and this time i took a promise that he would be back for the D day in the first week of May;) Nothing like home and no one like mom:) and i will be leaving everything very soon, strange are the ways of the world.
Have loads of fun:)

jugni said...

have fun at home! :)

Dreamcatcher said...

Such a long time. Have lots of fun and come back with many a story to tell.

Anonymous said...

That's a long time indeed...I would have gone mad!

Its been 5 months here in the US and I am all set to catch the enxp plane if possible!!! :)

Have a great holiday and congrats to ur sis for the wedding! Hope all goes well

zypsy said...

arunima: not feeling homesick? bangalore's that good or is it someone in bangalore? :-)

ash, blow, alapana: oh yes, i'm gonna have lotsa FUN!!!

dreamcatcher: i hope the stories are very long...and very interesting:-)

chandni: thank you!! after this, i'm not sure when i'll go back again...

~Nitoo Das~ said...

I am going home after 4 years on the 1st of May. Going by the stuff I have been writing, I am terribly homesick and looking forward to being at home for a month! :)

Swar Thounaojam said...

about home - this sunday, i am also going home after nearly four years. mixed feelings for me because last time, i wasn't feeling quite at home there.

zypsy said...

river: have LOADS of FUN:-)

bem: i'm going home for 2 weeks. i can't stay longer too, there's not much to do there. i also find it difficult to relate to a lot of people back home.