Tuesday, September 19, 2006

fulfilled

And then I encounter you, my love, with those wrinkles around your eyes, your face still beautiful though worn by memory and tender remorse. I almost pass you on the sidewalk, I'm only a few feet away, and you look at me as you look at all people, as though seeking another beyond their shadow. I could speak, erase the years. But to what end? Am I not, even now, fulfilled? I am like God, as solitary as He, as vain, and as despairing, unable to be one of my creatures. They dwell in my light, while I dwell in unbearable darkness, the source of that light.
- Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Words, sometimes they hit you when you least expect it. And truth, we stand in the shadows whenever it approaches.

Waiting for an offer/confirmation. Listening to a lot of the Ramones and the Nine Inch Nails, I’m taking an extended break for the first time in about 4 years. The summer of 2002, that was when I got my first job offer.

Was in Coorg about a month back, got 3 leeches on my legs when we went up a hill to see a waterfall. It was raining there all the time and I had my first and last dark rum there since I left Delhi.

Reading Heavier than Heaven (the biography of Kurt Cobain) and Shantaram. Bet I can open a small shop for books and music once I retire.

The world’s getting funnier each day. Talk about OUR god and religion, and you have the masses at your feet. Talk about THEIR god and religion, and you are dead meat. We and them, you and I, ours and theirs, mine and yours – that’s the world, that’s life, philosophy, and the truth, period.

INXS is coming to Bangalore and I’m not at all excited. Why do most of these rock bands/artists come to India when they are on their deathbeds? Why don't we have AudioSlave, Godsmack, Green Day, Dream Theater, Marilyn Manson, Radiohead.....instead? Maybe, we should have something similar to the anti-dumping laws...just maybe.

12 comments:

Arunima said...

good post!!

I'll support the anti-dumping laws. So, you consider Brayn to be in his deathbed?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!!!! you back to blogging! delighted to see that! I'm commenting before reading..
Rather after reading your comment on my blog. I'm in the US for a PhD in mathematics, always thought math is what I love. (This would be more interesting if I fill you in on my background - I did computer engineering from iit-d before this)

Anonymous said...

welcome back:)wishing you loads of luck:)

alapana
http://aalapana.blogspot.com
Unable to comment on non beta blogs,so anonymous comment for now.

Dreamcatcher said...

I like what you said about the compulsive need to label something different from your own sensibilities as the 'other', its the other and therefore bad. The world has become smaller, we've managed to narrow our focus down to just our own little worlds.

Anonymous said...

i so want to visit coorg....have heard nice stuff abt that place..
good to see you writing again :)

jugni said...

oh! "heavier than heaven" is the worst of his biographies to be read!!

and i agree.. we need ths "sth similar to the anti-dumping" laws! tho i'm not very sure if INXS is on it's death bed or their desperate effort to revive is going to pay off..

zypsy said...

arunima: Bryan Adams is not on his deathbed, he's already in the grave:-)

sushmita: thanks for sharing that. IIT-D, both my school and PG college were near it, at least !!

thanks alapana.

chandni: if you've been to other hill stations, coorg's not that great. but good enough to visit during a weekend.

blow: read one when i was in delhi but it was full of the good/great things about cobain/nirvana. i find this one much more honest. btw, which is the best, according to you?

somehow, i find the new sound of inxs very similar to the countless alternative bands except for the fact they don't use much of the typical muting stuff in their rhythm section. just wondering why none of these rock bands come to india when they are at the height of their career/popularity...

Girlplustwo said...

am quite happy i found your blog via penny's...talk about refreshing stuff.

zypsy said...

thanks jen!!

ash!!!!!!!!! where are you now and what are you doing? you are not writing anymore :-(

zypsy said...

dreamcatcher: it's always the other. makes me feel so helpless and angry sometimes...

Anonymous said...

waiting for an offer/ confirmation.. ? my first time here, so i'm guessing it's a job. good luck!

hills, waterfalls... siiiigh! i wanna go someplace with green mountains riiiiight now!

i'm currently reading maximum city. wanna swap after ure done :)?

zypsy said...

thanks sonia.

am crazy about the mountains. yup, i'm done with shantaram and now i want maximum city:-)