Sunday, September 07, 2008

Went to Yercaud on the Aug 15 weekend with S and two of my ex-colleagues. Tamil Nadu just refuses to change - most of the signboards are in Tamil, and the people behind the counters cannot speak either Hindi or English. It's the same old story when I was doing my engineering in Coimbatore eons back. It's no surprise that this state still lags behind in so many areas when compared to the other southern states. In the north, you have Bihar and West Bengal - states with huge natural resources and lots of potential that have repeatedly failed to change or progress much.

Yercaud is a small place, nothing much to see. To be very honest,
the hotel where we stayed was the best place/part of the visit.


In the next 1-2 months, I'm going to have 8000-10,000 extra rupees every month. Kid bro will start getting his monthly stipends at the IMA, and kid sister has finally got a good job in Delhi. And this means I won't be sending them money anymore for the first time in 3-4 years. I'm feeling light, and I'm feeling proud. The cousin whose education I’m sponsoring has also reached the 12th standard; I hope he comes out well in the 2009 board exams.

Am planning to book or buy a flat by spring/summer next year. Need to bring my parents here as soon as possible 'coz the money my elder brother (in Chennai) and I send home every month is never ever enough. My parents can live comfortably on my father's pension but then the losers in the family don't leave them alone.

Lately, the idea of working and living abroad (somewhere in Europe or Canada) is slowly becoming very attractive to me. I was always the lone guy in the gang who said no to working and settling down in another country. But the dirt, corruption, disrespect of everyone and everything; the ethnic, religious, language and economic divide and enmity in every lane of every state in this country leaves me utterly hopeless. You may say that these things are there in a lot of other countries too. But the truth is, it’s an exception out there while it’s a very regular and common affair in our country. Ours is a culture, a way of thinking & living that has been followed, protected, and taught for thousands of years. Another thousand years may not be enough to change or unlearn.


Been 2 years in Bangalore and I'm missing my friends in Delhi. The friends I used to hang out with, the friends who played guitar with me, and the friends with whom I get philosophical every weekend over endless glasses of rum. And yeah, they miss me too. They miss my place (all the rented flats I used to stay alone) which was always the default party venue. They miss my tapes, and my books. They miss my fried chicken and pork which was the staple starter and the "ender" at our parties.

It's raining so much these days. And for a change, it's raining mostly at nights in Bangalore. S and I love the rains; the moment we hear the rains, we will open the window in our bedroom, pull aside the curtains, get back in bed and snuggle happily under the covers.

7 comments:

Dreamcatcher said...

You'll move back to Delhi?

D said...

I can never understand why our parents cannot say no to relatives who leech on to them for an existence!

Monika said...

it always feels good when u see people u have sponsored standing on their own.... good job done there and i miss delhi too and that when i have been in blore for 6.5 yrs now........there is no place like delhi in whole of india

Eveline said...

The rains are beautiful here in b'lore especially after a long day at work. The sound of it feels very therapeutic.

zypsy said...

dc: nope. but may consider after a few years or so.

d: yeah, helping out someone in need is one thing. but when somebody needs help for 15-20 years, it becomes a little too much!

monika: i miss delhi more than i miss my native place:-)

eveline: guess, very few people don't like tha rains:-)

Monika said...

i have something for u at my blog come over and check out

SwB said...

Very true what you say about things getting hopeless in this ountry. 15 years here and I'm about ready to get the hell out too. There is just no future to look forward to.